Share Your Prayer campaign urges video and faith-driven response to child abuse and neglectLatest News Friday, April 4th, 2014
WASHINGTON /Christian Newswire — Each year, more than 680,000 children are abused or neglected, and as many as 1,500 die as a result. In an effort to protect these vulnerable children, Shepherding the Next Generation — a network of more than 300 evangelical pastors and faith leaders — is encouraging people nationwide to share their prayers through online videos in advance of the Blue Sunday Day of Prayer on April 27.
Background on the campaign can be found online.
A short video describing the effort, a poster for social media, and photography are located here.
How to #ShareYourPrayer:
- Record a 6- to 90-second video of your prayer.
- Upload or post the video to Instagram, Vine, YouTube, Vimeo or your favorite video-sharing website.
- Share the video with @ShprdNextGen on Twitter, using the hashtag #ShareYourPrayer
The campaign encourages everyone who cares about children to participate, regardless of video experience. Shepherding the Next Generation will “re-Tweet” many videos.
Your video could be chosen for extensive visibility through Shepherding the Next Generation’s online community. Videos will be selected with the help of three advisors:
- Paul Strand, Senior Correspondent, Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN). (Twitter @PaulStrandCBN; Facebook.com/PaulStrandCBN)
- Jay Dennis, Senior Pastor of the First Baptist Church at the Mall, Lakeland, FL, serving more than 9,000 members, and author of six books, including The Jesus Habits and Exercising the Spiritual Disciplines of Jesus.
- Thomas Pearce, National Director, Shepherding the Next Generation.
Shepherding the Next Generation will announce the winning videos on Wed., April 23, 2014.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW TO #SHAREYOURPRAYER
Make it real: Help people realize that more than 680,000 children are abused and neglected each year; some are probably from your community.
Make it creative: There are no rules. Say your prayer directly into the camera, use motion graphics, use actors and music, and/or share personal experiences. The possibilities are endless.
Make it inspiring, with a call-to-action: Your #ShareYourPrayer video is a powerful expression and should encourage people to take action. Direct viewers of your video to shepherdingthenextgeneration.org/bluesunday to learn how they can protect vulnerable kids.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT BLUE SUNDAY AND CHILD ABUSE AND NEGLECT
Every April, churches across the U.S. commemorate Blue Sunday by dedicating part of their service to praying for victims of child abuse and neglect and their rescuers. This year, prominent megachurches and many other churches will participate.
Blue Sunday was founded by Janet Magee, who works with school, churches, civic groups and agencies to promote child abuse prevention.
For a list of participating churches, or to learn how to get involved, please contact Lisa Berry.
- SNAP urges Baptists to speak out on abuse
- Expert: Church waking up to abuse
- The unthinkable: Responding to sexual abuse allegations